GRAINGER RAKU 48
The Raku 48 (Zaba2) is a 48’ fast modern cruising catamaran. The design was commissioned to Grainger Designs, it is based on a modified Barefoot / Raku designs. Zaba is design 214. The aim was to create a fast boat with all the amenities of a modern home. One of the main features is fossil fuel free propulsion, utilising Oceanvolt SD15 electric saildrive motors with folding propellers, 1.2 kW solar panels, electric motor recuperation while sailing (plus a diesel generator as a backup).
Zaba is a CE category A for 12 people, there are 11 permanent bunks in 4 cabins, plus the saloon. Each cabin has its own toilet with a shower. For the time being crossings are limited to 8 people on board due to an 8 man liferaft.
Galley has a 4 burner induction stove, full featured oven with microwave, dishwasher, double sink, fresh and sea water taps plus a day tank for filtered drinking water. There is an under the counter fridge, freezer, and 2 drink coolers in the tables. Limited fresh water can be resupplied with onboard Katadyn desalinator.
Technology used in Grainger Raku 48
- Boat type: Grainger Designs – Grainger Raku 48
- Designer: Tony Grainger, Grainger Designs
- Length: 14.8 m
- Beam: 7.5 m
- Weight: 6950 kg
- Draft: 0.4 – 2.25 m
- Mast height: 19m
- Electric motor system: 2 x Oceanvolt SD15
- Electric motor nominal power: 2 x 15 kW
- Electric motor system voltage: 48 volt
- Electric motor system weight: 94 kg
- Batteries: 8 x Valence U24-12XP Rev 2-U-Charge 12.8V Lithium batteries
- Battery weight: 126.4 kg