IMOCA 60 FOR VENDEE GLOBE 2016
"The Vendee Globe is an opportunity for me to take part in my 3rd race around the world, this time solo, and to become the first Kiwi to do so. The race is not very well known in New Zealand where crewed racing is a lot more famous than solo racing and I look forward to sharing this adventure with as many people as possible.
I’m a vegetarian, committed to raising awareness about the environment and I want to be the first skipper to manage going around the world in that race without using fossil energy. Using an event like the Vendée Globe to promote something that is important for me is really motivating. I want to show people that alternative power can work well and it is a great opportunity."
Technology used in Conrad Colman's electric IMOCA 60 for Vendee Globe 2016 :
- Type of boat: IMOCA 60
- Length overall: 18.23 m
- Displacement: 9000 kg
- Electric motor system: Oceanvolt SD15 electric sail drive motor
- Electric motor system nominal power: 15 kW
- Electric motor system voltage: 48 V
- Electric motor system weight: 46.5 kg
- Propulsion battery-pack: Super-B 16kWh lithium battery pack
- Battery weight: 220 kg