Schionning Designs Arrow 1360 #2 “S/Y Vellamo”
The Ocean Youth Sailing (OYS) is a non-profit organisation founded by approximately 30 teenagers and young adults in the spring of 2014 by members of the Jugendsegeln Steckborn (JSS). Today over 300 teenagers and young adults are involved in the project.
On their self made Schinning Designs Arrow 1360 catamaran S/Y Vellamo young adults teach other young people sailing, and thereby teach them to act responsibly, teamwork and self-reliance.
More than 150 teenagers and young adults dedicated a total of approximately 6,500 hours of volunteer work to the construction of the catamaran.
"One of the most beautiful parts of being on our Vellamo catamaran is to arrive without any noise in a harbor and being able to perfectly manouver the catamaran safely into a berth with our two Oceanvolt motors. Our young sailors love the simplicity of operating the Oceanvolt system." - Ocean Youth Sailing "S/Y Vellamo"
Technology used in the electric Schionning Designs Arrow 1360:
- Boatbuilder: Ocean Youth Sailing
- Design: Schionning Designs
- Installation year: 2018
- LOA: 13,6 m
- Boat beam: 7,4 m
- Displacement: 6800 kg
- Electric motor system: 2 x Oceanvolt AXC10 electric shaft drive motor
- Electric motor system nominal power: 2 x 10kW
- Electric motor system voltage: 48 V
- Batteries: 21 kWh Valence lithium-ion battery pack
- Generator: 11 kW DC Generator